Working in the UK

Best Immigration Solicitors in London explain that the points-based system will give simple, beneficial and flexible arrangements for UK employers to hire skilled workers from all over the world from several different immigration routes.

EU People who are already living in the UK are exempted from this new system from 31 December 2020. They and their family members can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme and have until 30 June 2021 to apply.

You have to achieve a total score of 70 points in order to come and work with your employer in the UK, you will have to show that –

  • You have an employment offer from a UKVI (UK Visa and Immigration) licensed Sponsor
  • Your job offer is at the needed skill level which would be equal to or above RQF 3 (A level and equivalent)
  • You can read, write, speak and understand English to the needed standard
  • The employment offer must meet the salary threshold set by Her Majesty’s Government with the guidance of the independent Migration Advisory Committee at £25,600 or at “Going Rate” of the job offered.

If your salary is equal to but no less than £20,480, you are still eligible for coming to the UK. You can trade points from other factors such as educational qualifications. If you have –

  • An employment offer coming under the shortage occupation
  • A PhD in the respective field which must be relevant to the job offered
  • A PhD in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects related to the job offered.

If you satisfy the criteria set by the British government, you will points as:

  1. You will get 20 points by having a job offer from an approved sponsor. It is a mandatory criterion.
  2. You will receive 20 points if you have an employment offer at the applicable skill level. It is a mandatory criterion.
  3. If you speak the English language at needed level then you will get 10 points. It is mandatory to know the English language.
  4. It is inevitable to earn at least more than £23,040 to get 10 points and if you are going to earn more than £25,600 then you will get 20 points. You will not get any point if you are earning between £20,480 to £23,039.
  5. If you have a PhD relevant to your job and especially a PhD in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects, then you will get 10 and 20 points.
  6. Also, you can earn 10 points if your job offers come into the shortage occupation list.

These are all the characteristics, now remember you have to earn at least 70 points to qualify.

When you apply for a Tier 2 (General) Visa, you will be asked to submit :

  1. A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) reference number from an employer who has a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence.
  2. An evidence that you can speak and listen in English which you can prove by passing an English language test or having a relevant educational qualification upheld by UK NARIC.
  3. A proof that you have sufficient personal savings so that you can support yourself in the UK unless you get full monetary support from your A-rated Tier 2 sponsor licence holding company.
  4. Passport and Travelling Documents are required to complete the process. Also, you should have at least one blank page in your passport for your visa.
  5. Tuberculosis Test Results (if needed) from selected countries.
  6. A criminal record certificate of a country in which you have lived for more than 12 months.

Please note that if the documents spoken of above are not in English or Welsh, then you have to deliver a certified translation.

Stay Connect with our Tier 2 Sponsor licence blog


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here