If yes you are at the right place “Western Overseas”, a whopping 17 + years of experience give you the best TIPS to actually understand what the letter is about. Yes, the tips and strategy is the only way to get a higher score. We are writing letters from our childhood. See! You know something already; but western overseas structure and tips will build up your confidence in “what to write” and to get band 9 score.
The IELTS General Writing Task 1 measures the ability to communicate about common practical issues. Candidates will get 20 minutes to respond to the question asked by writing a letter to a person, institution or a company.
Here are the BEST 8 WAYS TO IMPROVE IELTS GENERAL LETTER WRITING:
- Identify the type of letter being asked to write.
- Formal (Complaint letters or letters to the authority or seniors in the In other words, you write formal letters to people who are unknown to us).
- Informal (Written to friends and These are the people whom we meet often or at least wish to meet often and we share an emotional bond with these people.)
- Semi-formal (Written to the reporting manager or immediate boss or colleagues; in other words, to known )
- Purpose of letter
Write your letter according to type of letter:
|Formal||Requesting information from an organization, Applying for a vacant position.|
|Semi-formal||Complaining to a landlord
Asking a professor for permission
|Informal||Inviting someone you know well Thanking a friend or relative
- Proposed starting and signing off the letter:
These are the proposed starting can be in letter according to different situation:
- I am writing this letter to you …
- I am David Moore and writing to you …
- I am writing with regard to…
Personal Letter: Yours truly, best regards best wishes.
Official Letter: Yours sincerely, yours faithfully, yours obediently.
Business Letter: Yours sincerely, yours faithfully.
- Spell commonly used words correctly.
Learn and practice word’s correct spellings you are likely to use in the exam. Examples are: “truly”, “faithfully”, “in connection with”, “apologize”, and so on. This is an easy way to improve your score.
- Learn and use standard written phrases.
In English letter writing, we use different standard expressions and phrases. These save both time and effort and make it easier for the reader to understand its meaning. You can include particular information you want to communicate to these standard phrases. Here the list of Useful Expressions below.
- Divide your letter into paragraphs.
Usually you need four paragraphs:
- Problem / Situation
- Solution / Action
- Include all three bulleted Do not exclude any point given in question prompt otherwise your score will be affected. Answer all the points.
In your letter:
- explain the problem
- describe why it disturbs you
- suggest a solution
- Use time effectively
Time plays a significant role in the IELTS Writing Exam as you have 20 min to complete this task. Managing time effectively will help you boost you score. Give proper time for planning, writing, and proofreading.
PROOFREADING TIME SHOULD BE: 2-3 min.