If you own a shop, you must have installed the aluminum awning over it. For those who don’t know, an aluminum awning is a metal shade structure used to resist the great winds and heavy storms. It is generally used to provide protection over windows, outside doors, and used as a cover for decks. Though its low maintenance it is a perfectly designed, for all seasons option that can stay all year-round
Now, if you have installed it, you also have to clean it regularly to preserve its good condition and your business as well. It won’t cost you a lot of money. It will stay clean for longer and can last for decades with the lowest additional cost. Simple, yet this professional process requires aluminum awning cleaning products. You need to have a 5-gallon bucket, a long-handled brush, and a garden hose.
- The best time to start with awning cleaning is the bright sunshine afternoon. If you want to DIY, hold the spray bottle and spray the entire awning on the inner and outer surface. It will bump off any dust, dirt or mold from the surfaces. You should also spray off the tops, and brackets so that any residue is not left behind.
- In the second, sweep all sides of the awning with a brush, extend the handle of your stiff bristle brush to reach all sides of the awning. Fill the bucket with a standard awning cleaning solution and use it on the brush. Once everything is prepared, start scrubbing from the top side of the awning, moving towards sides, each bracket, and inner sides. Look for the underside spots and mud clamps to clean them with more pressure and scrubbing separately.
- If we use a pressure washer to clean the awning, then we keep the pressure below 100psi, otherwise, it may lead to damage. We also suggest you the same. However, if you are doing it yourself, and using a standard garden hose, the pressure should be kept to the maximum to clean the awning thoroughly.
As we do, we also recommend that you remove all the items (planters, flags etc.) attached to the awning. Else, those items will become loose or propelled with a hose pressure. It is also better to remove the patio furniture to prevent it from soapy water dripping down on it. If it’s wooden furniture, it is more likely to get damaged.
- Stubborn stains require awning cleaning chemicals or very hot water and all-purpose bathroom cleaner if you take sole responsibility for it. Identify the exact stain location, apply the chemical or cleaner and let it stays there for a maximum of 5 to 10 minutes. After the time has passed, with full pressure brush the stain.
Later on, spray the area with cold water if stain is not visible. All the same, if stains are still there, the best option is to paint the awning with new quality paint. Now you must be thinking about how to paint an aluminum awning? I have never done it before. Do you want to learn about the awning painting now? Yes! then continue reading some interesting tips to paint the aluminum awning.
- The major reasons behind the awning cleaning are based on the owners’ own preference, stubborn stains, owner failed to clean it before painting or he/she has chosen the wrong primer. Last but not least, they did not consult with the professional painting company. If you want to avoid the mistakes, then look no further for any other non-professional. Hire the professional painting contractors Cape Cod MA that include awning cleaning and painting.
- If you want to learn more about our services, then you can contact us. Meanwhile, let us share some tips and methods we follow. We apply an oil-based primer on aluminum awning. It is commonly seen that owners purchase latex primer that dries faster, but it often contains ammonia. Ammonia, when used on Aluminum surface, causes a chemical reaction which is corrosive to the metal. Thus, causing white flaking to appear and gas which results in the production of toxic hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen. Therefore, we recommend the application of oil-based primer before painting the aluminum awning and let it dry for several hours.
- After the primer is dried, apply a top coat of 100% acrylic paint that will not react with aluminum and also lasts for decades without discoloring or fading. Use the airless sprayer as brushes and rollers require more time. If you don’t own one, then take professionals’ help. They will spray at the top, side by side and back and forth until the entire awning is painted completely and neatly.
- The requirement of paint is dependent on the awning size. 8 by 10 awning size requires a quart of paint while one gallon of paint will cover around 350 square feet. And usually, two coats of paint are required to get a perfect painted awning. If you have any questions in your mind or want any recommendations about awning cleaning and painting, we would love to hear from you. You can reach us at any time.