Sciatica is a severe health condition characterized by pain going down from the lower body back towards the thighs and legs. The pain is often described as shooting in medical terms. Typically, symptoms are only restricted to one side of the body but may increase gradually. But sometimes it may result in pain on both sides of the body. Lower back pain is sometimes present which affects the overall health of the humans. Weakness or numbness may occur in various parts of the affected leg and foot and can cause problems while walking or running. Therefore sciatica pain treatment is very much essential nowadays because most of the people are prone to this kind of body problems. The pain may arise due to trauma, compression or inflammation of the nerves, slipped discs, tumors, and a number of other medical and spinal factors that may lead to Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, piriformis syndrome, and pelvic tumors.While surgery can be required for extreme cases, the good news is that sciatica pain can also be cured by non-surgical treatments with the help of physicians and experts.
The features of non-surgical treatment for sciatica pain are as follows:-
- Steroid injections– Steroid injections are injected directly into the painful area around the sciatic nerve to reduce inflammation and can provide quick relief in a short time. During this period of relief, the Sciatica sufferer may try to get started on a conditioning or exercise program to reduce the pain permanently and follow the physician’s instructions accordingly.
- Massage Therapy- This is the easiest way to cure sciatica pain in the body which also helps to improve blood circulation and relax muscles. Patients can practice this therapy anytime and anywhere according to their level of comfort.
- Heat and cold massage-When Sciatica pain is high, a combination of heat or ice packs can curb the pain. It ultimately up to the patients to determine which method is best for them to stop the pain from increasing throughout the body. In general, the heat or ice pack is applied for twenty to twenty-five minutes and then repeated every two hours until the pain comes to a stop.
- Chiropractic Manipulation- Chiropractors and osteopathic physicians can detect spinal problems and offer manual manipulation and exercises that free restricted movement of the spinal cord and helps to restore misaligned vertebrae to their original position. These adjustments can reduce nerve abnormalities responsible for causing inflammation, muscle irritations, pains, and other symptoms related to Sciatica.
- Electrical pulse-Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)units send low-voltage electrical pulses to areas around the sciatic nerve in the body, accelerating the nerve and block pain signals before they can enter the nervous system. Electric pulses also cause the body to produce endorphins which are a natural pain killer and has long term benefits too. Chiropractors and physicians may use TENS in clinics and hospitals, but they are also available for personal use at residential homes.
So the above methods are a means of non-surgical lower back pain treatment and can cure sciatica pain at the earliest. People have started to rely on these techniques because they are effective and have shown positive results over the years. It is a boon to those people who do not want to go for surgical methods to curb sciatica pain. Prolonged exposure to sciatica pain can cause long term diseases in the body which can be detrimental in the future. Thus, it is advised that people suffering from sciatica pain must consult experts and physicians who are aimed at curing lower back pains of the body because they have a good knowledge of the whole process. To ensure a healthy living, sciatica pain must be cured at the earliest with the help of non-surgical treatments and therapies so that people can come back to their normal lives.